Thursday, November 1, 2007

First Impressions

Driving down the bumpy lava road toward Miriam's home, I could hardly believe this moment had come. Paul had been there twice by then, so we were able to borrow a car instead of being driven by one of the Heal Africa drivers. There are no trees on these lava streets, just black rock as far as one can see. The rocks have been made into walls and fences. We parked in front of the store where we were to meet Godelive. She was just arriving there with her younger brother who lives with them, walking Miriam home from school. We walked down the lava path into an area of tiny wooden houses until we came to theirs. We all sat in their main room on wooden chairs.

Godelive was very gracious, twice expressing her thanks to God for having provided this for her daugther. I asked many questions, with Paul doing the translation. They had not always lived in this house. Before her husband had died they lived in a larger home that cost $100 a month rent. Now they pay $15. Her brother has lived with them since the children were born, assisting with the children when he was available. He just graduated from high school.

AIDS had brought them to poverty with the death of her husband. Godelive had also acquired the disease and has been very ill. She is now on ARVs and is feeling much better. She looked well. She's a beautiful, petite woman. Despite her diagnosis, she hopes to live for many more years. She will be able to provide better for her younger son, age 4, without the need to feed and pay school fees for both of them. School costs about $10 a semester, which is a hardship for most families. It would be so easy for any of us to make a difference...but that's another subject.

Miriam was shy, but very curious. She was bossy toward her little brother, trying to take the tennis ball we had brought for him. Her mother talked to her about leaving on Friday with us, that she would fly in an airplane, and that she will come to our home. I fought back tears as she talked to Miriam, partly of thanksgiving for what God had brought about, and partly for the pain both Miriam and her mother would feel losing each other.

I marvel at what God has done. All I did was to say "yes" to what seemed as a call to my heart. I did not choose a particular child, but if I had to give a description of what kind of girl I was looking for, it would have been Miriam...a girl with few opportunities, who was smart, curious and loved to learn. I would have looked for a girl who came from two loving parents, and was not a victim of the violence of war. I would have chosen a girl from the region of the country that Paul is from. I would have asked for all of that, but I explicitly surrendered my desire for a specific kind of child to God. I was willing to take what God was willing to give to me. She is everything I had hoped for.

I don't say this as the secret to some kind of formula for getting what you want through prayer. I only want to recognize that there is some Great convergence that is happening in our lives, and that God is soverign over it all.

I hope to post a photo of Miriam and us in front of her house. The computer situation is a little cumbersome, but we're working on it.

Thanks for your prayer. We leave tomorrow afternoon for Kinshasa. The Congolese airlines scare me. Please pray for safe travel.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tshihambas,

Today is a big day for all of you and we continue to pray for you and Miriam's family. Thank you God for holding all of them in your hand as they go throughout the many changes of the day. We praise you for your wonderfully abundant love and imagination. We are grateful for these glimpses of how awesome you are.

In His Grace and Peace,

The Mowats

Unknown said...

i like ur blog :)