Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Homecoming Interruptions

I got home yesterday with one small snag. My luggage didn't arrive with me. There's no telling where it is. I just hope it gets here soon. I was expecting to be picking up Paul and Miriam on the same flight today. They checked in with their e-tickets at the Nairobi airport. The took their boarding passes to the gate, but were not allowed on the plane because Miriam has a Congolese passport, which means she needs a transit visa to be able to enter the Amsterdam airport (be thankful for your American passport). Northwest/KLM would not budge in any way to change the routing of their tickets to London instead of Amsterdam, where a visa would not be required. They had two options: Stay over night in Nairobi and go to Holland's embassy in the morning or buy new tickets home, via London. Since the process of acquiring a visa normally takes a few days, and since they would have had to buy new tickets anyway because they had to forfeit theirs, there really was no option. They bought new tickets, flew to Heathrow, took an hour long bus ride to Gatwick (never heard of it) and flew from there. They are due home at 3:20 today. I'll believe it when I see it.

Miriam's arrival just happened to coincide with a class trip that all 5th graders go on. Charis really wanted to stay home to be at Miriam's homecoming, but I sent her anyway. They will have to wait until Friday to meet.

No comments: