Thursday, November 8, 2007

Miracles Happen!

The man who is hosting us used to work at the embassy. Yesterday he
told us that we need to change our flight plan. He said it is
impossible to be able to leave so soon because of American Embassy
"red tape." We seriously thought we would have to, but decided to
wait one more day to decide.

Now I wonder why I was so worried yesterday. We went to the embassy
this morning to pick up medical exam papers, and were armed with USCIS
(U.S. Dept. of Immigration) documentation that proved we didn't have
to pay the $670 again,
and also proof that we only were required to have a copy of our
marriage license.
The woman we've been working with was very friendly today, and things
turned around. They told us we have an interview next Tuesday. I
asked if it was possible to get one tomorrow if the medical results
came back today. She said yes, but doubted that could happen.

After that, we went to the clinic. Paul's uncle Ditu has a relative
who works at the clinic reception desk. He had been informed of our
situation. and was
asked to help. Along with us was an attorney who is a close friend of
Paul's parents and from the same home town. We all walked into the
doctor's office when Miriam's name was called: Paul's parent's friend,
the attorney, the relative from the reception desk, Paul, Miriam and
me. The doctor just happened to be from the same region of Congo as
Paul's family. The relative established the connection, the lawyer
stated our situation. They all conversed a little about
commonalities. The doctor initially told us that the shipment to the
embassy (3 blocks away) goes out first thing in the morning and had
already left, but he could send it tomorrow
morning. We thought that was the best we could get. Miriam had necessary
vaccinations and a very basic exam. The doctor filled out the papers and
called in the nurse to take it to the embassy right then.

So the medical exam went to the embassy about two hours after we had been
there. I called to confirm our appointment for tomorrow at 9am.

I don't really know what happens in the interview, and I'm not worried about
it. We will get the visa in the next couple of days. We all leave Kinshasa
Monday. I go to Nairobi for a little over 24 hours, then Amsterdam
and Minneapolis. Paul and Miriam (unfortunately) will have to fly to
Goma to get to Kinshasa. You could pray or Miriam when she is there.
She will surely recognize the place, because it looks like no other
place in the world. The whole city is black with lava. They will be
picked up at the airport, taken straight to the border,
then get on a bus to Kigali. Paul is trying to make the Goma part as short
as possible.

So the whole day seemed miraculous, and surely we saw the hand of God. I've
had a verse from 1Samuel that I've hung onto through this whole process.
I haven't told anyone but my sister and Paul, because I was taking it
so out of context from the whole story. I have to share it now
because
it seems so true about what's been happening, and especially about
what happened today.

Within it's context, Samuel performed a miracle, which led the people
to believe that God was present and real. The miracle was followed by
central theme given many times to Israel in the OT. It summed up the
way they were to live their faith. They were called to serve the Lord
with all their heart. This is my prayer for Miriam as she grows up.
It's my prayer for myself. I long to become more devoted because of
what I have experinced today, and through the whole process of this
adoption.

"Now then, stand still and see this great thing the LORD is about to do
before your eyes!

1 comment:

Andrea Sheldon Tshihamba said...

this is Miriam. i'm 10 now. i wish that we could have stayed with my mom when we went back to Goma i miss my mom alot but i talk to her once in a while but i am in 4 grade now and i love to be in school. i am really good at gymnastics and soccer (foot ball for none-americans) i think i was adopted because God wanted to bring me back to DRC and make it alot safer. i love the congo and i love that i am adopted