Sunday, November 11, 2007

Out of Congo--Not Yet Out of Africa

Wow, what a wild few weeks it's been! Thanks for coming along with us.

Paul (with Miriam) and I left Kinshasa this morning. I went to Kenya. My layover was 32 hours, so I'm at a guest house in Nairobi. I just had a big glass of passion fruit juice with my dinner. It was heavenly.

Paul and Miriam flew to Goma, crossed the border after getting a visa into Rwanda for her (she has a Congolese passport), then got in a van for a 3 hour drive to Kigali. I don't know any details, but I got this text message from Paul:

"Things are really good w/Miriam. Goma was not hard. She asked about her mom a few times, but it's different from before. More questions of curiosity than anything. There will certainly be grieving, but I think she'll do okay."

Paul will blog more details after Miriam goes to sleep tonight. You'll probably read it before I do.

Yesterday Miriam's uncle who lived with her family until last December came to say farewell to her. We hadn't told her he was coming. She was elated at the sight of him. He told us that all of his family was very moved that we wanted to adopt her, and they saw it as a gift from God. After he left, we let her call to say good-bye to her mother. She cried a little bit at both farewells, but something changed in her. It seems like she understood a little better what was happening. She went to sleep in a cuddle.

No comments: