Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Who Needs Sleep?

I was awoken by my cell phone around 4am. I had received a text message from Paul. It ended up being a great number of text messages back and forth. Here are a few of his:

• Met Miriam’s mom. Will meet M later today

• Been at attorney’s office all morning. Going to see Judge now. Pray!!

• Judge was positive. Hope to have his judgment on Friday. Now going to pick up M from school.

• There is still a question about when u should come. Attorney will give us an idea on Friday. If u r lucky you’ll get a photo.

• Going to get Miriam now to take passport photo

• Very cute

Needless to say, I couldn’t get back to sleep after that. I found out later (by phone) that the judge had heard our story previously and was very moved. Paul, Miriam’s mother and the attorney went before the judge. He actually made the adoption decree right then, but the paperwork won’t be finished until Friday. I haven’t received the photo yet, but I will post it as soon as I do.

Paul wired the passport money to Kinshasa for our lawyer. A pastor from Goma is flying to Kinshasa tomorrow and will deliver Miriam’s photo to him. The lawyer will get the passport tomorrow and then return to Kigali.

Now we’re full speed ahead, figuring out the immigration details, changing plane reservations and waiting on the adoption paperwork. I may not even be flying to Goma, but Paul and Miriam may meet me in Kinshasa (the U.S. embassy is there). The embassy only sees adoption cases on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. We can’t make final arrangements with the airline until after Friday. When the immigration becomes final, Paul will return to Goma and Miriam and I will fly back to Minnesota…that’s plan A anyway. We’ll see what develops. What a whirlwind!

Do you see God all over this process? I am amazed!

1 comment:

Carin said...

Amazing!

It's amazing to see Paul and Miriam together.

Adoption is so cool.